Ad Content Policy
ABOUT THIS POLICY.
This policy applies to all advertisers who want to publish ads in Reach publications. It gives you an overview of:
- the minimum standards we expect all ad content to meet;
- specific types of ad content that are not allowed in Reach publications (unacceptable ad content); and
- certain types of ad content that are only allowed in limited circumstances (restricted ad content).
As explained in our advertising terms and conditions, we reserve the right to reject or cancel any ad at our discretion. This policy is designed to give you a steer on when an ad is likely to be rejected or cancelled for content-related reasons.
MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR ALL AD CONTENT.
Ad content must:
- comply with all applicable laws, regulations and codes of practice in the territory targeted by the Ad, including:
- the UK Code of Non-broadcast Advertising and Direct & Promotional Marketing,
- the rulings and requirements of the Advertising Standards Authority, and
- all industry-specific laws, regulations and codes applicable to the products, services or activities being promoted;
- give clear and accurate information about the products, services or activities being advertised;
- only make claims about a product, service or activity that can be substantiated;
- clearly identify the advertiser and contain contact details where required; and
- quote priced items in the currency of the territory targeted by the ad.
UNACCEPTABLE AD CONTENT.
We do not permit ads that:
- are unlawful or promote any illegal products, services or activities;
- contain misleading, false or deceptive claims or content, promote products or services that help people cheat or break the law, or are designed to scam people out of money or information;
- promote adult chat lines, escort services or similar adult themed services;
- contain adult content (such as nudity) or promote sexually explicit material;
- contain abusive language, swear words or words used to imitate them, or anything else that we deem to be offensive;
- feature firearms, ammunition, sharp knives (such as chef’s knives), bombs or any other type of explosive device, or any other objects designed or promoted as products to cause injury;
- are shocking, inflammatory or threatening, promote violence, or glorify suffering or death to humans or animals;
- promote discrimination or hatred based on personal characteristics including race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, disability or condition;
- contain content that harasses, intimidates, threatens, abuses or bullies anyone;
- contain someone’s personal data (for example, their image, name or quote) without a lawful basis to do so (such as consent);
- misrepresent or unlawfully impersonate another person or company;
- promote counterfeit goods (including knock off or fake goods);
- imply a product, service or activity is endorsed by someone (such as a celebrity) without their permission;
- promote recreational drugs or any related paraphernalia (such as pipes) or unsafe substances;
- are socially irresponsible, exploit controversial issues, or could cause widespread offence in our opinion;
- contain, or link to sites that contain, any software or tool that facilitates unauthorised access to someone’s devices or disrupts them;
- contain medical claims about unlicensed products or promote prescription-only medicines or treatments to the public (including Botox);
- promote the purchase of tobacco or related products or contain images of smoking;
- target children with any product, service or content that is illegal, inappropriate, unsafe or exploitative;
- promote financial loans, products or services which do not comply with all applicable codes, policies, guidance or decisions of the Financial Conduct Authority or are otherwise unlawful, deceptive, harmful or exploitative;
- use aggressive, dishonest or unlawful sales tactics, such as failing to provide accurate information about the true price of a product, marketing a product as discounted where there is no genuine price reduction, or promoting a product that is no longer available at the price advertised;
- infringe someone else’s intellectual property rights (such as copyright or trade marks), privacy rights or other personal or proprietary rights;
- imply that we endorse the products, services or activities featured in the ad without our prior approval; or
- include logos or mentions of any Reach competitor or any Reach publications or businesses without our prior approval.
RESTRICTED AD CONTENT.
Ads for the following (non-exhaustive) list are only likely to be allowed in limited circumstances:
- Alcohol – we only permit alcohol-related ads if they meet relevant local laws and industry standards and are not irresponsible.
- For example, suggesting that alcohol can improve your social standing or sexual performance would be irresponsible.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) – There are many different CBD products with different uses and rules for advertising. We do not accept CBD ads that make unlicensed medical claims or promote any product that is a controlled substance or does not have a Novel Food Authorisation.
- Cosmetic surgery – Ads for cosmetic surgery will always be subject to extra checks to make sure, among other things, that claims can be substantiated, any ‘before and after’ images are genuine, risks are spelt out, insecurities are not exploited and the procedure is not presented as a solution to life’s problems.
- Gambling, betting, lotteries, prize draws and games of chance – Reach supports responsible advertising in these areas. We will only permit ads that adhere to applicable laws, regulations and codes and support responsible behaviour.
- Third party channels – If you book advertising with us to appear on a third party channel(such as a social media network), we may cancel or reject the ad if it does not adhere to the third party’s terms and policies.
Start your journey with Reach today.
Our focus is on making your life easier, so we'd love to hear from you and answer any questions you may have about our advertising solutions.